UMBEL v 0.80 Released
CORALVILLE, IA, November 15, 2010 -- Structured Dynamics and Ontotext today announced the latest release of UMBEL, version 0.80. UMBEL (Upper Mapping and Binding Exchange Layer) has two roles. It is a vocabulary for building reference ontologies to guide the interoperation of domain information. It is also a reference ontology in its own right that contains about 21,000 general reference concepts.
Here are the major changes in UMBEL v. 0.80.
- #1: Clarification of Dual Role - this version clarifies and separates files for UMBEL's dual roles. The UMBEL Vocabulary of classes and predicates is used to describe domain ontologies, with the specific aim of promoting interoperability with external datasets and domains. The UMBEL Reference Concept Ontology with its 21,000 general reference concepts acts as binding nodes for mapping relevant Web-accessible content, also with the specific aim of promoting interoperability
- #2: Reference Concepts and Predicate Simplification - another set of major changes was the simplification and streamlining of the predicates and construction of the UMBEL Vocabulary
- #3: SuperTypes - the 21,000 reference concepts were "clustered" into more than 30 mostly disjoint natural groupings called SuperTypes. Fully 75% of the reference concepts in the UMBEL ontology are disjoint with one another
- #4: OWL 2 Compliance - the vocabulary and ontology were converted to OWL 2 in order to: 1) use OWL reasoners; 2) load the full UMBEL into leading ontology editors; 3) use the OWL API, consistent with many other ontology tools under development; and 4) take advantage of a trick in OWL 2 called “punning“, a technique that allows concepts to be used in ontologies as either classes or instances, depending on context, and
- #5: Documentation and Packaging - documentation was streamlined and simplified and a new project Web site was unveiled.
This release is in preparation for a follow-on UMBEL v. 1.00.
This next version will provide mappings to leading ontologies
and knowledge bases, as well as the upgrade of existing Web
services and other language support features.
For Further Information
- UMBEL Web site
- UMBEL Specifications (and Annexes A - G)
- Discussion Group
- Downloads and SVN
- UMBEL Vocabulary
- UMBEL RefConcepts.
About Structured Dynamics LLC
Structured Dynamics assists enterprises and non-profit organizations to adopt Web-accessible and interoperable semantic data. The basic premise is that the data itself becomes the application. Via structured, linked data and a combination of semantic technologies and Web services, information in any form and from any source can now be integrated and made interoperable. The company Web site is at http://structureddynamics.com; it is headquartered in Coralville, IA.
About Ontotext AD
Ontotext is the leading provider of core semantic technology, such as OWLIM, the most scalable semantic database engine, and KIM, the most popular semantic annotation and search platform. Its FactForge and LinkedLifeData services provide unmatched linked data access and management capabilities. Ontotext provides professional services for text mining and semantic data integration; its customers include AstraZeneca, BBC and Korea Telecom. The company Web site is at http://ontotext.com; it is headquartered in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Structured Dynamics LLC
Email: mike at structureddynamics dot com